Understand and follow safe operating procedures for use of heavy equipment, to prevent injury.
- Ensure the cab area is clean and free of debris and tools.
- Clean windshield, mirrors and lights.
- Removal all oil, grease or mud and snow from grab irons, hand rails, steps, pedals and floor to prevent slips and falls.
- Remove or secure any loose items such as tools, chains or anything from the cab.
- Check and mark the area for underground cables, gas lines and water mains.
- Know work area clearances – watch for overhead or underground objects, holes, drop offs, and partially hidden obstacles and wires.
- DO NOT GET ON OR OFF A MACHINE THAT IS IN MOTION!
- Maintain a 3-point contact with the steps and hand rails while getting on/into the machine – do not use the controls or steering wheel as a handhold.
- Do not operate the machine with wet, greasy or muddy hands or shoes.
Note : improper procedures can cause injury, disability, or even death.