The last part of safe operating procedures for heavy equipment is refueling & parking.
It is the easy part, but sometimes this easy part is the part that most cases of accidents.
- Shut off and cool the engine and any electrical equipment before fueling.
- Ensure the fueling area is well ventilated.
- Do not smoke while refueling. Keep open flames and sparks away from area.
- Do not use gasoline or diesel fuel for cleaning parts.
- Know where the fire extinguishers are located.
- Park on level ground.
- When parking on a grade, position at right angles to the slope, block the wheels and set the parking brakes.
- When parking, lower all loader, buckets and hydraulics to the ground.
Note : improper procedures can cause injury, disability, or even death.