Equipment operators should know more than just start and run the machine!
They should have a very good knowledge about their equipment maintenance process & problems.
In order to achieve this, you need to make sure that Operator Training is part of your Preventive maintenance program.
Here are the reasons:
How to include Preventive Maintenance into your program and have a properly trained operator:
- Don’t make the session lengthy & complicated.
- Introduce equipment limitations and common problems.
- Review operator’s manual for major components.
- Set up a discussion group & meeting for problem discovery.
- Create an operator checksheet before & after each duty.
- Provide them with tools to easily report problems with evidence and standardized reporting.
By having this type of operators, in the long run you will have an extra people in your maintenance team that will discover and report early symptoms of equipment problems and will help reduce breakdown time.