Unique Facts of Mining (1)
- Gold and copper were the 1st metals to be discovered during Primitive Period around 5,000 BC
- Archeologists have found copper drain pipes from 3,500 BC that are still in good condition
- Au is chemical symbol of gold, comes from Latin “aurum” which means shining dawn
- Petroleum is used to make over 6,000 items : ink, golf bags, deodorant , DVDs, crayons, etc.
- “The Luck of The Irish” is an old expression which came out of the gold and silver rush in 19th century
- Approximately, 63% gold is used in jewelry, 20% as coins, 15% in industrial uses, and 1% in dental
- Zinc is 100% recyclable
- The Cullinan diamond is the largest gem-quality diamond ever found, weighing roughly 3106.75carat (1.37 lb). It was named after the owner of the diamond mine, Sir Thomas Cullinan.
- The US is the world’s largest producer of clay, gypsum, lithium, magnesium, phosphate, salt, silica, and sulfur
- Most modern electronic devices contain over 35 minerals
- Canada is one of the largest mining nations in the world, producing more than 60 minerals and metals